NEET Reservation Criteria 2021: National Testing Agency, which is the exam conducting body for NEET 2021 also offers a provision of Reservation in seats. There are a set of Criteria for reservation under various levels. Out of all these levels, there are two major categories according to which reservation is given. These are the 15% All India Quota and the 85% State Quota.
Through this article, we will discuss various categories of the reservation is provided by NEET to the students seeking admission to medical colleges. We will discuss the various reservation criteria, based on which the NTA determines the minimum percentile and subsequent ranks of the students. Read the article till the end to get some major takeaways for the reservation under NTA NEET 2021.
Updates for NTA NEET Reservation 2021
NTA NEET (National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test) is a medical entrance test that is held across the country for admission into the MBBS and BDS courses. National Testing Agency (NTA) updates it’s reservation policies from time to time according to the requirement of the state and centre. This year also, the agency has updated some of its criteria, they are:
- Under the states, the government of Tamil Nadu will now offer a reservation of 7.5% to all the students coming from the Government Schools of the State seeking admission through NEET.
- At the Central Level, a new reservation regulation has been formulated for the NEET admissions to victims of any terror attack. Reservation of this nature will be for the children and spouses of such victims.
- Also, reservation in NEET for the Economically Weaker Section (EWS) students is 10%.
NEET 2021 Reservation
Let’s take a brief look at these NEET Reservation Criteria/ schemes to get a more detailed explanation. Reservation under NEET is offered to the OBC students, SC, ST, EWS and PwD students at central and state levels. Apart from these, the basic reservation is of two types seats only:
- Reservation for All India Quota Seats– that offers 15% seat reservation.
- Reservation for State Quota Seats– that offer 85% seat reservation.
NTA NEET All India Quota (AIQ) Reservation
The 15% All India Quota seats are the most popular Quota seat, through which the students are allowed to take admission into their preferred college. The AIQ seats are for students from all over India. To get consideration for these seats a student doesn’t need to be from the same state as the college. Also, Under this quota, the authority offers about 60,000+ seats to all the students of the country.
In India, the Medical Counseling Committee manages this Quota In all the Deemed Universities through NTA NEET 2021 counselling. As it is an All India Level Quota, a separate merit list is generated for this quota through which the students are invited from all over India. All types of elite Government and Private Colleges and Universities participate in this level of counselling. Under this Quota, there is a seat reservation for all the nationally recognised reserved categories as well.
Seat Reservation under the AIQ quota
|OBC – NCL||27%|
When the Results of NEET are declared, the NTA also publishes a merit list for All India Quota. All the Central, State and Private colleges/universities participate in the All India Quota counselling. The seat allotment for this 15% of the seats will take place in the subsequent rounds of Centralized counselling which will be conducted by MCC (Medical Counselling Committee). So, to continue with the counselling process, the candidates must register themselves on the official website of MCC.
Candidates from Andhra Pradesh, Telangana can also enrol themselves in the 15% AIQ seats since 2018.
Candidates hailing from Jammu and Kashmir and the Union Territory of Ladakh are not eligible to sit for the All India Quota seats. Although they can claim eligibility by filling up the self-declaration provided by the NTA.
NTA NEET State Quota Reservation
As you know by now that 85% of the State Quota Seats are for the candidates of particular states. For these Quota seats, each state conducts separate counselling. The seats of the respective states will be filled by state-level counselling and to select the candidates for counselling NTA NEET 2021 State Merit list will be kept in consideration.
Students also have to fill in their state code in full details in the NEET application form. Therefore, ensuring their enrollment into the home state quota. Also, for the state quota seats, the domicile of the particular state will play an important role. It is also an important document to upload at the time of NEET form submission.
The rules for the admission of state quota will be as per the state legislation rules and guidelines. State authorities will also provide the eligibility and policies of the reservation. To know about your state criteria, students can check it from the official website of their state’s counselling authority.
All the Private medical colleges, universities, and institutions will have the following policies:
- To secure admission in an MBBS/BDS course program, the candidate needs to follow the procedure specified by the respective state or UT.
- Admission into the armed forces medical college (AFMC), situated in Pune will have the rules and guidelines as per the Directorate General of Armed Forces Medical Services, Ministry of Defense and Government of India.
Reservation for Physically Handicapped
The NTA also offers percentage reservation for the students with some physical liabilities. It gives a special reservation to all the candidates who are Physically Handicapped. He/she will be given which will be called reservation for Handicapped or physically challenged people. The number of seats provided to handicapped candidates is 5% seats at an All India level. Below you will find the reservation of seats for this category
- Candidates who are suffering from any locomotor disability and are having a percentage disability falling between 40% or more are provided with a seat allocated under this scheme. You check more about the seat allotment process, here.
- If for any reason the seats allotted to locomotor disability candidates remain unoccupied they will be transferred to the yearly sanctioned seats.
- The candidates applying under this quota should possess this certificate and produce it before the assessment board to ensure the credibility of the candidate.
Various centres are there to issue a certificate of disability of a person indicating the level of disability he/she is suffering from. The Centers to issue the disability certificates given by NEET 2021 reservation norms are as follows:
- Vardhman Mahavir Medical College and Safdarjung Hospital- New Delhi
- All India Institute of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation- Mumbai
- Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research- Kolkata
- Madras Medical College- Chennai
- Goa Medical College- Goa
- Govt. Medical College and Hospital- Chandigarh
- SMS Medical College- Rajasthan
- Grant Government Medical College- Mumbai
- JIPMER Academic Centre- Puducherry
- . Govt. Medical College- Agartala
- Institute of Medical Sciences- Uttar Pradesh
- Government Medical College- Kerala
For all the quotas, the reservation will be according to the state Government Policies for Reservation.
Recommended For you: NEET State Wise Counselling Registration State Merit List Seat Allotment
Reservation for EWS
As per the reservation norms by the Government of India, NTA NEET also offers the reservation for the EWS categories. This category will consist of the Economically weak families in the General Category. According to the criteria by the Government of India, about 10% of the reservation is for the EWS category in education and Jobs.
Thus, NTA NEET also gives a reservation of 10% to all such students belonging to this category. There are a set of regulations to decide the EWS eligibility of any candidate. They are:
- The total income of the family must be less than 8 Lakh per year.
- Any possession of a residential flat must be less than 1000 sq. ft.
- The family should not possess any agricultural land less than 5 acres.
- Possession of any residential plot must be less than 100 sq. yards under suggested municipalities and less than 200 sq. yards under unnotified ones.
- Also, the candidate should not fall under any other reserved category like ST, SC, OBC, etc.
Any student who satisfies these criteria can enjoy the reservation benefits. To get the reservation students to need to have an ‘Income and Asset Certificate’. This certificate can be issued through any acknowledged institution. Some of these institutions are:
- Revenue Officer whose ranking is under the Tehsildar of an area.
- Sub-Divisional Officer, Magistrate, Sub-divisional Magistrate.
- Magistrate, Presidency Magistrate, Chief Presidency Magistrate, Additional Chief Presidency.
- Collector, Taluka Magistrate, District Magistrate, Deputy Commissioner, Extra Assistant Commissioner, Additional District Magistrate, Additional Deputy Commissioner.
AFMC Reservation NEET @afmc.nic.in
The AFMC also issues individual reservation for the candidates who will qualify for the NTA NEET 2021. It will benefit only those candidates who register themselves on the AFMC website online. The registration is available to everyone on the official website of AFMC. Although, It does not provide any reservation to the PwD candidates.
The complete criteria and eligibility of the candidates who wish to get admission can be obtained from their official website. It gives out the complete criteria defined by AFMC, Pune as their requirements are different in some cases. The regulation norms under the AFMC are as per the Directorate General of Armed Forces Medical Services, Ministry of Defence and the Government of India. We are presenting below some of the important points associated with AFMC reservation:
- Firstly, students must keep in mind that those who successfully clear the NEET and are trying to get admission to AFMC must also need to clear the screening test held at AFMC.
- The dates of the screening test will be as per the AFMC authority.
- The authority publishes a Lists of the screening in two separate stages. Among which the first consist of the names of the candidates who have been shortlisted for counselling and the second list will comprise of the candidates whose names are in waiting.
- The candidates of the first list are eligible to sit for the counselling, seat allotment will be done. After that only the the candidates of list second will be invited for assessment.
- For the PH category AFMC does not provide any reservation.
- The candidates which are from Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, and Kashmir are also eligible for applying for admission in AFMC Pune.
Reservation in Other Central/ Deemed Universities, BHU, AMU, AIIMS, JIPMER
Earlier all these institution conducted the examination at their own level. Since 2019, all the medical colleges and institutions are being conducting the entrance under a common NEET exam. All the individual college enterances are not anymore there but they still have some regulations. These regulations are as per the individual guidelines of each of these institutions.
Thus, the regulations for the admission and other processes may still vary for the AIQ seats and state-quota seats. We hope you got the answers you came in searching for. In case we missed something please leave your suggestion. Also, you can ask your question below and our team will answer back. To ask, go below to the comment section.
Students to be eligible for the AIQ should be:
Citizen of India
Overseas Citizen of India (OCIs)
Non- Residental Indians (NRIs)
Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs)
No. The defence quota seats are not available under the All India Quota Seats. However, they may vary within the states.
No. there are no more management seats offered by the NTA. Although, some of the private universities may offer such seats.
Domicile is not essential in case, the student wants to secure any All India Quota seats. But it is essential to secure admission under the state quota seats.